Just Amleth

Tuesday, April 22, 2003

The Hours (Part 2)

The second part however, reveals a little bit more about the story of Mrs Dalloway, and gradually I began to understand the movie. What struck me most was what Meryl Streep said to her daughter. "When I was young, I imagined a world full of possibilities. I thought that it was the beginning of happiness. Now, I know - that was happiness." I began to wonder if I would be asking similar questions when I grew old. It's true that I too, like her, see a life full of possibilities now. However, my thoughts, needs and desires have changed a lot in the last decade, and I believe they would continue to change in the decades to come. Is this the way life is supposed to end?

This also reminds me of a movie, Requiem for a Dream, where one of the characters Sara, a lady in her senior years. She loves and wants to be proud of her son, but he is a drug addict who is hardly around and pays very little attention to her. She is lonely and watching television becomes more than just a pasttime for her - it becomes an obsession. One day, she learns of an opportunity to appear on TV. All of a sudden, she finds a purpose in life. She is determined to look her best when that happens and she starts taking drugs to lose weight. Losing weight too, becomes an obsession, and she starts taking large quantities of the drug, thinking that she could lose weight faster. The drugs cause her to hallucinate and her mental state degenerates from then on. The story ends with her in a mental institution.

(continued in third part)