Just Amleth

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Body Odour

17 Feb 2004 9:00pm. A middle-aged man sporting a gold tooth took the seat next to me. He wore a 60's style short-sleeve striped shirt tucked out and a pair of brownish-black pants that looked like it needed pressing. A foul-smelling scent (like a dead cockroach) wafted into my lungs. I held my breath, willing the smell to go away, but it would not. I could feel my life ebbing away as the foul smell continued to assail my nostrils. I had to make a choice. It was either change my seat, or die of asphyxiation. The choice was never clearer.

I cannot stand the smell of body odour, and it appears that the buses and trains are full of it. Every time I find a nice, cosy little seat on the bus, out of nowhere comes someone with terrible BO who would take the seat beside me. Not wanting to seem rude, I would pretend that I was getting off the bus and find another seat. Then I would enjoy several minutes of fresh air again until the next person with BO comes to my side again (which happened to me twice today!!). Yuck!! I got off that seat and made the decision to stand for the rest of the journey, although there were still a couple of empty seats around (as all the people occupying those seats appeared to have BO). It was a great relief to me when I finally got off the bus.

In the MRT, it is slightly different. Due to the availability of handrails, BO now often comes in the additional form of raised armpits. Just not too long ago, I had to stand in a crowded train, when a somewhat unkempt gentleman standing beside me switched from gripping the pole to holding the handrails. Although I had not made the slightest movement, I suddenly found myself staring face-to-face with an armpit. Without warning, the scent of his armpit assailed my nostrils. Gasping for breath, I turned my face away for some fresh air. It was pure pleasure when the smell of scentless air entered my lungs again. Alas, this moment of pleasure was not to last. For some inexplicable reason, the next person I faced also raised his arms to the handrail. Are these people trying to kill me with their armpits?? With two raised armpits on both sides of me, I had no choice but to move.

Alas, these are the pains that one must endure with public transport. Me? I think I smell great all the time. :D