Just Amleth

Monday, October 27, 2003

Eating hamsters - Part II

This continues from the immediate aftermath of the events described in Eating hamsters - Part I.

After eating the dwarf hamster, I was hit by a pang of guilt. I had just taken the life of a cute little creature, albeit a carnivorous one who had tried to eat me. Did I really have to eat the hamster, delicious as it might be? Was that the only option available to me then? Even if I had to take the life of the cute little hamster to save myself, surely it deserved a proper burial and not in the depths of my tummy? Were there any hamster anthropologists in this world who would know the proper burial rites for hamsters? I pondered about these questions as I walked to my apartment.

To assuage my guilt, I thought it would be best if I started performing acts of kindness towards hamsters. Perhaps then, I would be forgiven of my transgressions against that one hamster who had tried to eat me. The next day, I went on my quest to find new hamsters. Responding to an advertisement on the Internet, I decided to buy two hamsters, a male and female. Why did I buy a male and a female? I thought that if I brought several new hamster lives into this world, I could atone for the sin of taking that one life away.

Hamsters are surprisingly productive creatures. Within a few weeks, they had given birth to a few young baby hamsters. I was comforted by these events. Once the baby hamsters grew up to become matured adults, I planned to either give them away, or release them to nature. By doing that, I would have more than atoned for my sin.

Alas, things were not to be. I have been told by my friends (hamster lovers, incidentally) that hamsters are gentle creatures who would never cause harm to any other creature. Apparently, this is not the case. The female became very aggressive and I had to put the male hamster in another cage. Perhaps it is not so strange that a hamster had tried to eat me after all. Then another shocking incident happened. The mother started to gnaw and bite on her young, not in a playful, teasing fashion, but in a most harmful manner. I am not quite sure if this was a common behaviour of hamsters, but it certainly happened to my hamsters!

I wagged my finger at the mother and reprimanded it for trying to cannibalize her young. The mother stared at the ground with downcast eyes, obviously feeling very sorry for what she had done. I tried to comfort the baby hamster, which snuggled into my palms, with pleading eyes begging me to keep it away from its mother. I examined the damage that had been done to it. There was a gaping hole in its stomach. It broke my heart to see the pain and suffering the poor little baby hamster had to endure. I tried to soothe it by licking the wounds the mother had created in its abdomen.

As I licked the wounds, I savoured the taste of the blood and flesh of the baby hamster. My mind began to conjure images of various seasoning and spices sprinkled onto the baby hamster. My taste buds were starting to become very sensitive, and I nibbled on its abdomen slowly. Before long, the whole hamster was in my mouth and I was munching on it. Baby hamsters, with their soft bone structure, taste like .... escargot with fur. The screeching of the baby hamster and the horrified squeals of its mother were blotted out of my mind.

What have I done again?!