Just Amleth

Friday, July 08, 2005

Did someone say working in Australia is ... easy?

This was one of the most stressful projects I have ever had since joining my company. I was scheduled to work at Canberra from Tuesday to Friday. This was complicated by the fact that I had to fly overnight from Singapore to Canberra (disrupted by a stopover at Sydney), and as you know, the airplane seat is not exactly very conducive for sleeping. Moreover, as the notice period was so short, I had very little time to prepare for the project.

Tuesday - Got only four hours of poor quality sleep on the plane. Was not very productive that day.

Wednesday - Worked until 10pm. I guess it is payback for our lack of productivity on the first day.

Thursday - Worked until 2:30am, as Murphys's Law kicked in.

Friday - Finally was able to finish up everything and leave the office at a sane timing (5:30pm). Incredulously, most of the Australians working there had already left by lunch time.

I later discovered that the project was scoped for five days, but we only had four days to do the work. Other similar projects were running for like two to three weeks. Just my luck, I guess. I think my co-workers must be cursing me behind my back for pushing them so hard this week. I had bought a camera from INK, but never got the chance to even use it once. All I did at Canberra was travel between the airport, the hotel and the office. Canberra is not going to give me many fond memories.

I thank God however, for helping me pull through this project. I believe my prayer to Him helped me overcome many of the obstacles I would have otherwise faced.