Just Amleth

Friday, January 07, 2005

Cabby in Calcutta

I finally understand how the cab fare system in Calcutta works. Apparently, there are two different kinds of meters - the electronic meter, and the older mechanical meter. Unfortunately, changes in cab fare schemes are not programmed into the meters, and the cab driver will have to calculate the fare depending on which meter he has. For the electronic meter, you would take the meter's reading and multiply it by 1.5. For the older mechanical meter, you would take the meter's reading and multiply it by 3. From now on, no cab driver shall overcharge me, unless I allow him to. I promptly put my skills into use.

I was in on a cab today from my customer's place to the Sheraton Sonar Bangla. When I reached the Sheraton, the electronic meter displayed 33. With some quick calculation, I figured that the cab ride should only cost 50 rupees. I handed the cab driver 100 rupees. The bloody cab driver took the 100 rupees and opened the door for me. I decided to amuse myself by taking some of the joy out of his new found wealth. "Are you sure I'm not supposed to get some change?" I asked. He grinned sheepishly and handed me 20 rupees. "Is that all? I thought the cab ride was 50 rupees?" There was a scowl on his face as he handed me another 30 rupees.

Lousy cabby. If you hadn't tried to con me, I would've let you keep the 100 rupees for your honesty. Honesty among cabbies is so hard to come by these days. Serves you right for trying to con me.