Just Amleth

Monday, March 07, 2005

Back in Hong Kong

Of all the places I have been to so far, Hong Kong is still my favourite. Calcutta was an "interesting" experience, but it is the kind of place that you will want to visit once in your life, but not any more than that.

Brisbane was modern and clean, but unfortunately, there is really nothing much to do down there. Downtown Brisbane is dead on weekends. You can walk along the streets in downtown Brisbane and count the number of people you see with your fingers. After a while, Brisbane can get quite boring.

Hopefully Sydney or Melbourne will be more interesting.

The only other interesting place tht I haven't gotten enough of yet is the Gold Coast. Surfer's Paradise has nice long beaches where you can just walk and walk and yet not see the end of it. Surfing looks like a lot of fun, but I never stayed in Surfer's Paradise long enough to get down to learning it.

Let's get back to Hong Kong - I can't exactly put a finger to what I like about Hong Kong. Perhaps it's the people, the cosmopolitan city, the sea, or the 15-degree weather. Or perhaps it's one of the few places where I get to climb tall mountains and feel like I am on top of the world? I really like the mountains ... it's a good way to relax and also get some exercise. The views on top of the mountains makes you feel that the six hour climb up is worth the effort. What is more, I like the fact that the mountains are within the limits of the city ... it takes you no more than an hour or two to get to the foothills.

Now that I'm in Hong Kong, I shall take the opportunity to try out all the nice restaurants in Hong Kong. Stay tuned!