Just Amleth

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Missions Trip to Cambodia

I have always had a heart for Cambodia ever since I watched the film The Killing Fields when I was eleven years old. Although I vaguely remember the movie, the horrors and the atrocities of the Khmer Rouge against their own people is something that was permanently etched into my young mind. The Khmer Rouge was a Cambodian communist party that ruled Cambodia from 1975 - 1979. One in four Cambodians died during their reign of terror. For Cambodian Christians, it was even worse -- only one out of ten survived the horrors.

Just thinking of all the suffering that the Cambodians have gone through is heart-wrenching. This is the reason why I chose to go to Cambodia for my missions trip. The other reason is because I truly feel blessed by God, and want to bless others in return.

We went to Battambang, a province in the northwestern part of Cambodia (labelled "Batdambang" in the map below), next to the Thai border.



The trip lasted for six days from 6 - 12 Nov. The trip was divided into two parts:
  • Spending two days in a church in a village about an hour's drive from Battambang city

  • Visiting orphanages in Battambang city


  • What an experience it was! I cannot say that I have not been touched by that week in Cambodia. Indeed, God has developed in me a burden for the Cambodians. It has definitely changed my perspective of life too .... A typical Cambodian worker earns only US$ 1 - 2 a day. What little suffering I have to endure in my life becomes so small when one considers the challenges the Cambodians face in their daily lives. I should be contented with what little I have.

    It was also a trip where I was able to make a few new friends -- Yee Kheng, Kah Ong, Anne and Haydee, as we spent one week traveling and serving together. Indeed, we got to know each other a lot better as a result of this trip! I will definitely not ever forget this time in Cambodia.